Poires Au Caramel
|Pears||4 Medium, peeled, with the stalk left on|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Water||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
1. Brush each pear with lemon juice. Place in an ovenproof dish.
2. Dissolve the sugar in 150 ml (1 1/4 pint) water, then bring to the boil without stirring and boil until the syrup becomes a light golden caramel.
3. Remove from the heat. Quickly pour on the remaining water and stir over a gentle heat until the caramel has dissolved.
4. Pour over the pears. Cover with a lid or aluminium foil and cook for 30-40 minutes in a preheated oven, until the pears are soft and translucent. Turn the pears in the syrup once or twice during the cooking time, so that they colour evenly.
5. Carefully lift out the pears and stand upright in a serving dish. Place the syrup in a saucepan and boil until it becomes thick, then add the butter in small pieces. Pour over the pears and leave to cool.
Calories 317 Calories from Fat 103
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.5 mg10.2%
Sodium 3.5 mg0.1%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g18.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.3%
Sugars 46 g
Protein 0.84 g1.7%
Vitamin A 7.9% Vitamin C 21.1%
Calcium 2% Iron 1.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet