Old Fashioned Hard Candy
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Food colors||1 (Green And Red)|
|Anise extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Peppermint extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners' sugar||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine granulated sugar, water and com syrup. Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
2. Cook, uncovered and without stirring, to 300F on candy thermometer, or until a few drops of syrup tested in cold water form hard, brittle threads.
3. Remove from heat; divide in half. To one half add 2 drops green color and 1 1/2 teaspoons anise extract. To other half add 2 drops red color and 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract.
4. Pour each into a well-greased pan (about 8 by 8 by 2 inches). Just as soon as candy is cool, working quickly, cut into 1/2-inch strips with scissors; then cut strips into 1-inch pieces (you may need two people to do this).
5. Place candies in single layer on greased cookie sheet. When hard and brittle, sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar.