Candy Stripe Twists
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs)|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Anise oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red food coloring||6 Drop|
1. Measure flour, baking powder and salt into sifter.
2. Beat butter or margarine and sugar until fluffy in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed; beat in egg and oil of anise.
3. Sift in dry ingredients, a third at a time, adding alternately with milk; stir until well blended.
4. Spoon half of dough into a medium-size bowl; blend in a few drops red food coloring to tint pink; leave other half plain.
5. Pinch off about a teaspoon ful each of pink and white doughs at a time, and roll each into a pencil-thin strip about 5-inches long on lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Place strips side by side, pressing ends together, then twist into a rope. Place, 1 inch apart, on cookie sheets.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 10 minutes or until firm. Remove carefully from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks. Store in airtight container between layers of wax paper or transparent wrap.