|Russet potatoes||4 Large, peeled (2 pounds 8 ounces for French Fries)|
|Cornstarch||2 Tablespoon (6 ounces for French Fries + 2 tablespoons for Gravy)|
|Salt||1 Pinch (1/8 teaspoon for French Fries + to taste for Gravy)|
|Pepper||1 Pinch, ground (1/8 teaspoon for French Fries + to taste for Gravy)|
|Peanut oil||2 Quart (For deep frying)|
|Butter/Fat drippings||2 Tablespoon (1 ounce for Gravy)|
|Beef broth||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1 pound for Gravy)|
|Water/Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), cold (or whole milk 2 ounces for Gravy)|
1) French Fries : Cut the fries into long slivers.
2) Rinse the fries under cold water until the water turns clear.
3) In a large bowl of cold water, place the fries so that the potatoes are completely covered. Refrigerate
for at least 30 minutes and up to 12 hours.
4) Pour out the water and place the fries on paper towels and pat them completely dry.
5) Toss the fries with the cornstarch until evenly coated. Place the cornstarch covered fries on a wire rack in a sheet pan and rest for 20 minutes.
6) In a deep 5-quart stock pot heat the oil to 325 degrees F on medium high. Add the fries a handful at a time to the hot oil. Stir with a slotted spoon to make sure all the fries are cooking evenly.
7) Once the fries have turned yellow in color, remove from oil and drain on paper towels for about 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batch. Allow fries to completely cool.
8) When ready to serve, heat the oil to 375 degrees F. Add half of the fries to the hot oil at a time and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown and puffed.
9) Allow to drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
10) Gravy : In a pot, melt the butter, then add the beef broth whisk together well. Bring to a boil.
11) In a bowl, combine the desired cold liquid with the cornstarch and stir well.
12) Add cornstarch slurry to boiling broth and whisk together well boiling for 1 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
13) Serve the fries covered with the gravy and sprinkle cheese curd or cheddar cheese on top.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1185 Calories from Fat 581
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g101.4%
Saturated Fat 22.8 g114.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.5 mg21.5%
Sodium 1861.8 mg77.6%
Total Carbohydrates 135 g44.9%
Dietary Fiber 8 g31.9%
Sugars 3.7 g
Protein 18 g37%
Vitamin A 15.1% Vitamin C 56.2%
Calcium 11.4% Iron 33.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet