Parsleyed Oven Pot Roast
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon (Divided)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lean beef bottom round||5 Pound|
|Canned tomatoes||28 Ounce, broken up (1 Can)|
|Dry red wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Instant minced onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parsley flakes||2 Tablespoon|
|Instant minced garlic||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Carrots||6 , peeled and sliced|
|Zucchini||1 1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Cherry tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs), pricked with fork|
1) Preheat oven to temperature 450 degrees.
2) Over the surface of the meat, rub 1 ½ teaspoons of salt and the pepper.
3) In a heavy, ovenproof casserole or Dutch oven, place the meat, keeping the fat side down.
4) In the hot oven, brown the meat on both the sides for about 50 to 60 minutes.
5) Drain the fat.
6) Combine together the wine, tomatoes, onion, bay leaf, parsley, garlic and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt.
7) Pour the mixture all over the meat.
8) Cover the meat and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.
9) Bake in the oven for 2 ½ to 3 hours, till the meat and vegetables are soft.
10) About 40 minutes before the cooking time is up, add the carrots and 20 minutes before cooking is over, add the zucchini. Finally, add the cherry tomatoes about 10 minutes before cooking time is over.
11) Slice the hot steak and serve with the still hot vegetables. Makes a good main course dish.