|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon, squeezed|
|Eggs||6 , separated (At Room Temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Pinch|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Dark jamaican rum||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Ripe mango||1 Large|
1) Take an 11 x 17-inch baking sheet and lightly grease it.
2) Preheat oven moderate to 250 degrees.
3) Peel mango and cut in chunks. Keep aside in a small serving bowl.
4) Rinse strawberries under cold running water. Reserve 8 whole berries for garnish. Hull and slice the rest and place in another small serving bowl.
5) In small heavy nonaluminum saucepan put 1/2 cup sugar. Sprinkle lemon juice and 3 tablespoons water and boil over high heat.
6) Let the mixture boil to dissolve sugar and brush the sides with pastry brush dipped in cold water.
7) Leave to boil for 3 to 5 minutes undisturbed.
8) When the mixture turns amber in color, pour out rapidly into greased baking sheet, and leave to cool.
9) When cold and solid, break into small pieces and grind in blender till powdered. Transfer to a small bowl.
10) Grease 1 1/2- to 2-quart straight-sided souffle or baking dish with butter.
11) Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar. Tilt to coat the dish. Keep aside.
12) In medium-size non-aluminum saucepan bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
13) To prepare meringue, beat egg whites with electric mixer at medium speed until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar, and beat further till stiff peaks forms.
14) Add 1/2 cup sugar adding 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Beat meringue for 3 to 4 minutes until smooth.
15) Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the powdered caramelized sugar. Transferred to the prepared souffle or baking dish.
16) Place souffle dish in bigger oven-proof dish and cover with boiling water until water reaches a depth of 2 inches.
17) Bake meringue for 40 to 50 minutes till firm.
18) To prepare custard sauce, heat milk in non-aluminum saucepan until it steams.
19) Beat egg yolks with electric mixer at high speed with remaining 1/3 cup sugar in large bowl for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour steaming hot milk and 2 tablespoons powdered caramelized sugar. Beat till well blended.
20) Transfer egg-milk mixture to the medium-size non-aluminum saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until mixture thickens. Do not allow mixture to boil.
21) With a fine mesh sieve, strain custard into large bowl and add rum and vanilla extract. Let stand at room temperature for sometime.
22) Remove meringue from oven and cool in water bath.
23) Put a deep, wide serving platter over souffle dish with cooled meringue mixture. Hold the 2 dishes tightly and reverse to unmold meringue on the center of platter.
24) Transfer custard around the meringue "island," stirring in caramel liquid extruded from meringue.
25) In the platter, decorate with whole strawberries and sprinkle powdered caramelized sugar on top. Serve meringue slices with custard sauce on top. Serve fruit separately.