|Shelled almonds||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Pistachios||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||3 Tablespoon|
|Egg whites||2 (At Room Temperature)|
|Honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Blanch the almonds and, while soft, cut lengthwise into slivers. Brown lightly in a moderate oven (350° F.), stirring often.
2. Blanch the pistachios and let dry by spreading out on paper towels. (To blanch nuts, cover with boiling water, let stand five minutes, drain and slip off the skins.)
3. In a one-quart saucepan combine the sugar, water, half the corn syrup and the salt. Cook together, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Cook to 290° F. (syrup forms a brittle ball in cold water). Remove from the heat.
4. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add the cooked syrup gradually, while beating.
5. Boil together the honey and remaining corn syrup to 290° F. Add gradually, while beating, to the egg white mixture. Add the almonds and pistachios.
6. Stand the bowl of mixture on a rack in a pan of boiling water and steam, stirring occasionally, until a spoonful of the candy, cooled, is not sticky to the touch, or about one and one-half hours. Add the vanilla.
7. Line an 11 by 7-inch pan with wafer paper, turn the nougat into the pan and cover with wafer paper. Place a pan of the same size on top of the candy and press with a heavy weight. Let stand overnight or longer.
8. Turn the candy out of the pan and cut into 1 1/2 by 1/2-inch bars. Wrap immediately in freezer wrap or waxed paper. Store in a covered tin box in a cool place.
Calories 475 Calories from Fat 214
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.3%
Saturated Fat 2.1 g10.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 138 mg5.7%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g18.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.1%
Sugars 44.3 g
Protein 12 g23.8%
Vitamin A 0.9% Vitamin C 0.8%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet