|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Egg yolks||3 , beaten|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsweetened chocolate||1⁄2 Ounce, melted (1/2 Square)|
|Rum extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Pistachio extract||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Green food coloring||2 Drop|
|Whipping cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), whipped|
|Unbalanced almonds||6 , finely chopped|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Stir 1/2 cup sugar and salt into scalded milk in the top of a double boiler. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
2. Stir about 3 tablespoons of the hot milk into the egg yolks. Immediately return to double boiler top. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes, or until mixture coats a spoon. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Stir in 1 cup whipping cream and divide mixture equally into two bowls.
4. Add melted chocolate to mixture in one bowl and mix thoroughly. Set in refrigerator.
5. Add rum extract to remaining mixture and pour into refrigerator tray. Freeze until mushy.
6. Turn into a chilled bowl and beat until mixture is smooth and creamy. Spoon into a chilled 1 -quart mold and freeze until firm.
7. Fold 1 tablespoon sugar, pistachio extract, and food coloring into 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped. Spoon over firm rum ice cream; freeze until firm.
8. When pistachio cream becomes firm, place the maraschino cherry in the center and return to freezer.
9. Fold 1 tablespoon sugar, chopped almonds, and almond extract into remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped. Spoon over firm pistachio cream. Freeze until firm.
10. When almond cream is firm, pour chocolate ice cream mixture into refrigerator tray and freeze until mushy.
11. Turn into a chilled bowl and beat until mixture is smooth and creamy. Spoon mixture over firm almond cream. Cover mold with aluminum foil or waxed paper. Return to freezer and freeze 6 to 8 hours, or until very firm.
12. To unmold, quickly dip mold into warm water and invert. Cut spumone into wedge-shaped pieces.