Sausage And Roasted Pepper Calzone
|Refrigerated pie crusts||15 Ounce (1 Package, Pillsbury)|
|Mild bulk italian sausage||1 Pound|
|Sliced green onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried italian seasoning||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ricotta cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Mozzarella cheese||8 Ounce, cut into 1/4-inch cubes to make 2 cups|
|Roasted red bell peppers||7 Ounce, drained, roasted, chopped (1 Jar)|
|Pine nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
2. Let both the pie crust pouches to stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. As the crusts thaw; heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine sausage, onions and garlic; cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
4. Add in basil, Italian seasoning and pepper.
5. Take asmall bowl, whisk both eggs. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons; set aside. Add ricotta cheese to remaining eggs; blend well. Mix into sausage mixture.
6. To the sausage mixture, add mozzarella cheese, roasted peppers and 3 tablespoons of the pine nuts; mix well.
7. Keep 1 pie crust on end of large ungreased cookie sheet with about 1/3 of crust extending over edge. Spread half of sausage mixture over half of crust on cookie sheet, leaving about 1-inch border and mounding filling towards center.
8. Fold pie crust half over filling; press edges with fork to seal. Using a knife or a dough cutter, make four 1-inch slits in top of crust.
9. Do the same with second crust and remaining filling. Brush calzones with reserved 1 1/2 tablespoons egg. Scatter the remaining pine nuts.
10. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until rust is golden brown.
11. Cut each calzone to 3 wedges and serve immediately.