Red Velvet Cake Frosting
Red Velvet Cake Frosting refers to a rich and creamy white icing, which is used for coating red velvet cake, which is a layered bright red colored, chocolate or vanilla flavored cake. The frosting is prepared with a blend of several ingredients like sugar, milk, flour etc., and is refrigerated before using it as a spread between cake layers and as the top most coating.
Ingredients Used and Preparation Overview of Red Velvet Cake Frosting
The ingredients required for preparing the frosting for red velvet cake consist of sugar, vanilla, flour, whole milk, and butter.
Milk and flour are cooked together until thick, while ensuring the stirring of the ingredients constantly. Butter, sugar, and vanilla are added once the mix gets cool and all the ingredients are blended properly. The mix is then placed in the refrigerator before using it on the cake.
Tip- it is recommended to keep the icing refrigerated; else it will fall apart.
Red Velvet Cake Frosting Recipe Variations
There are a few variations of the Red Velvet Cake Frosting, which are explained in terms of difference in the ingredients used. A few recipe variations have been discussed hereunder:
- Crisco is used as one of the frosting ingredients, where Crisco refers to a shortening or fat (sold at normal room temperature) used for making crumbly pastry.
- Cream cheese frosting is also used for red velvet cake at times. Vanilla, butter, and cream cheese are combined together and beaten until smooth. Thereafter, sugar is added gradually while beating the mix, followed by adding flaked coconut. This cream cheese frosting recipe also suggests sprinkling a mix of red food coloring and flaked coconut over the cake frosting.
- A recipe variant suggests making the frosting without the use of flour. Butter is beaten until fluffy and light, to which sugar, vanilla, and milk are added gradually.
- Creamy pecan frosting is also used for red velvet cake. This red velvet cake frosting is made by combining together butter, cream cheese, sugar, and chopped pecans.
- Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake Frosting is one of the variants, which suggests addition of little amount of salt to milk and flour while the mix is being cooked, before blending it with a combination of sugar butter, and Crisco.