|Unbleached all-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Applesauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), firmly packed|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Hot water||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Skim milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch-square baking pan with a baking pan liner or spray lightly with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, sugar, 1/4 cup of the cocoa, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
3. Combine milk, applesauce, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
5. Spoon batter into pan.
6. Combine brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup cocoa, and water.
7. Pour over batter.
8. Bake for 40 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and cool in pan.
10.Cut into 16 squares.