How To Make A Seven Layer Cake - Part 1 - The Sponge Layers
|Egg whites||12 Large|
|Sugar||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Milk/Soy milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|For chocolate butter cream|
|Unsalted butter||2 Pound (or unsalted stick type margarine)|
|Sugar||2 2⁄3 Cup (42.67 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Chocolate chips||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|For chocolate ganache|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chocolate chips||1 Pound (Pareve or dairy)|
|Non dairy cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (whipped or heavy cream)|
|For caramel syrup|
|White sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1. Prepare butter cream frosting and chocolate ganache. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
3. Take seven 8x9-inch parchment sheet pieces and draw circles on it as shown in the video.
4. Grease parchment paper with non-stick spray and place them on baking sheets. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, take egg whites and beat on low speed until foamy.
6. Gradually throw sugar and beat constantly until soft peaks form. Scrape down the sides for even blending.
7. Into a small bowl, transfer the egg white mixture.
8. In the same bowl, take egg yolk, milk, vanilla, and salt. Add paddle attachment to your blender and beat to combine.
9. In a large mixing bowl, transfer the egg yolk mixture. Add egg whites and fold it in.
10. Sift flour over egg mixture and fold until just blended.
11. Scoop batter evenly onto the circle outlines of parchment.
12. Using spatula, gently smooth the batter to the edge of the circle.
13. Pop the baking sheet in oven and bake for 6-8 minutes or until cake is slightly browned. Repeat for the other layers.
14. On greased wire rack, place cake layers. Let them cool completely before frosting.
15. Cut along the lines of the circles. Now, wipe knife in butter and make 12-16 lines on the top layer as shown in the video. Wipe margarine underneath along the edge.
16. In a saucepan, take white sugar and cook on low heat until caramelized. You can also cook it on high or medium flame, stirring constantly.
17. Pour hot caramel syrup on top layer and cut through the scored lines into wedges. Set it aside.
18. On cake board, place a layer of cake. Scoop enough butter cream frosting on it and spread evenly. Place another layer on top and repeat.
19. Spread frosting evenly on the sides and top of cake. Smooth it out.
20. On cake plate, put some frosting and transfer the cake on it.
21. Pour some ganache on top of cake and spread evenly as shown in the video.
22. Pipe frosting around the edge, at the bottom.
23. Put some frosting in the middle and also put 12 dollops of frosting, along the edge to stick caramel wedges.
24. Place caramel wedges on top in an angle. Put a little dollop of frosting right in the middle.
25. Cut into slices and serve.
Watch how to frost the seven layer cake - Part 2 for complete recipe.