|For the sponge|
|Bread flour||135 Gram|
|Fresh yeast||13 Gram|
|For the dough|
|Bread flour||400 Gram|
|Chocolate chips||100 Gram|
|Powdered sugar||150 Gram|
1. Pour the lukewarm water into a bowl, dissolve the malt & yeast, and then add the flour.
2. Knead the sponge dough on a pastry board or work surface for a few minutes, until smooth. Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover with cling film and let it rise in a warm place for at least half an hour.
3. Start with the dough, put the flour in a bowl, while in a jug combine milk, 3 egg yolks, sugar & salt let it dissolve. Now pour the mixture into the flour and add the diced butter, knead everything until you have smooth and even dough.
4. Now add the dough to the sponge dough, which has risen, knead for a few minutes to blend the 2 mixtures together, until smooth and even, take a bowl and cover the dough with cling film and let it rise for at least 2 hours in a warm place.
5. Preheat the oven at 350°F (180°C).
6. Once the dough is ready, roll it out into a rectangle, about 1/10 inch (2-3 mm) thick, brush the surface with melted butter, sprinkle the chocolate chips all over, leaving an edge of about 2 inches (5 cm) uncovered. Then roll it up from the long side.
7. With the seam facing down cut the roll in half lengthwise; braid the 2 halves together, with the cut side facing up when you have a braid, form it into a ring. Transfer the ring cake to a baking dish, lined with parchment paper.
8. Then brush the whole ring cake with the remaining melted butter, and let it rise for at least 30-40 minutes or until doubled in volume.
9. When the angelica cake has doubled in volume, bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 40 minutes.
10. Start making the glaze, in a bowl beat egg whites & powdered sugar mix well, it should be thick in consistency.
11. Garnish the freshly baked angelica cake, pipe a thin stream of glaze to give it an elegant look.
12. Serve a large slice of this beautiful cake for this holiday season.