Halloween Layer Cake - Recipe
|For the orange-hazelnut dacquoise|
|Egg whites||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hazelnuts||410 Gram, ground|
|Orange zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla powder||1 Pinch|
|For the chocolate-almond dacquoise|
|Almond flour||400 Gram, ground|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||40 Gram|
|For the orange custard|
|Whole milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla pods||1 Medium|
|For the chocolate custard|
|Whole milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dark chocolate||100 Gram|
|For the ganache|
|Dark chocolate||500 Gram|
|Heavy cream||500 Milliliter|
|Puff pastry||5 Small|
|For the orange glaze icing|
|Powdered sugar||80 Gram|
|Food coloring||To Taste|
1. Preheated oven at 430°F / 220°C.
2. Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper; draw a circle about 8 ½ inch circle and keep it aside until needed.
3. Making the chocolate custard: In a large saucepan pour the milk and cream, and bring to a simmer.
4. In another bowl combine the egg yolks and sugar, beat quickly, and shift in the flour & cornstarch. Now add the entire content it to the warm milk and cream.
5. Keep whisking until the mixture is thickened, remove from heat and add the chocolate stir it till chocolate melts, Store it in a glass bowl & cover with cling film and leave it in the fridge to cool.
6. Making the orange custard: In a large saucepan pour the milk and then vanilla seeds along with the pod and bring to a simmer.
7. In another bowl beat the egg yolks, shift in the flour & sugar mix well. Once the milk is hot remove the vanilla pod, add the entire egg content to the warm milk in a thin stream and whisk constantly. Finally add the orange zest
8. When the mixture is thickened remove from the heat and store the orange custard in a glass bowl cover it with cling film and leave it in the fridge to cool.
9. Making of chocolate ganache: In a large saucepan pour the heavy cream and bring to a boil then add the chocolate and whisk every 15-20 minute until the mixture reaches a spread able consistency pour the ganache in a glass bowl and leave it in the fridge to cool.
10. Prepare the orange-hazelnut dacquoise: In a stand mixer bowl beat the egg whites until frothy, mix sugar and vanilla powder and start adding 1 tablespoon sugar one at a time followed by orange food coloring.
11. In a bowl mix the cornstarch & hazelnut meal and add the content to the meringue and stir gently until the dry ingredients have been incorporated.
12. Once done grate in the orange zest and mix well, now place the mixture in a pastry bag fitted with ¼ inch plain nozzle.
13. Take the prepared baking tray and pipe the mixture in a spiral shape starting from the center once done sprinkle powdered sugar and bake the dacquoise for 8 minute in a preheated static oven. You have to make 8 layers.
14. When the dacquoise is baked you can layer them one on top of the other separated with the parchment paper and cover it with cling film this will maintain the moisture and prevent the dacquoise from drying out..
15. Prepare the chocolate-almond dacquoise: In a stand mixer bowl beat the egg whites until frothy, mix sugar and vanilla powder and start adding 1 tablespoon sugar one at a time followed by orange food coloring.
16. In a bowl mix the almond flour & unsweetened cocoa powder, and add the content to the meringue and stir gently until the dry ingredients have been incorporated.
17. Follow the same procedure for lining and baking as done for the orange-hazelnut dacquoise but you only have to make 4 layers for the chocolate-almond dacquoise.
18. For the orange glaze icing mix the powdered sugar with 2 tablespoon of hot water, mix together till you get a smooth thick paste like consistency now add the orange food coloring.
19. Start assembling the cakes, but before that save a little chocolate custard in a piping bag for garnish.
20. Begin with a base of orange-hazelnut dacquoise followed by orange custard, topped with chocolate-almond dacquoise and then chocolate custard, Continue until all the dacquoise are layered.
21. Icing the cake: Cover the cake with chocolate ganache, spread it evenly on all sides of the cake, once done keep it in the fridge to cool.
22. Decorations for the cake: Take 4 puff pastry which will resemble the pumpkins when done, scoop the center and fill the pastry with the reserved custard., cover the puff pastry with the orange glaze and allow to set and dry for few minutes.
23. Take the green colored marzipan and shape it into leaves and stems for the pumpkins.
24. Decorate the cake with orange pumpkins and green colored marzipan leaves and stems.
25. Serve a large piece of delicious Halloween Layer Cake to your guest on this Halloween day.
For the Orange Custard: You can add the orange zest in the milk along with the vanilla pod.