Strawberry Kiwi Roll Cake - Korean Style
|All purpose flour||11 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Tablespoon (at room temperature)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Hot water||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Strawberries||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Kiwi||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare a 11X16 inch baking sheet and line with parchment paper.
3. In a mixing bowl, sift flour.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until frothy, about 1 minute.
5. With the machine on medium-high speed, gradually add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time. Increase speed to high and beat until mixture is thick and holds stiff peaks, about 5 min.
6. Reduce speed to low; add egg yolks one at a time, beat for 1 min. Add water and oil, beat for 10 seconds.
7. Using a spatula, fold in flour. Mix it completely.
8. Pour batter onto prepared baking sheet. With a scraper, smooth the top and slam on to a hard surface a couple times. This will compress batter and get most of the air out.
9. Bake for 12 to 15 min.
10. Line the hot cake with parchment paper on top, then place on a cooling rack.
11. Flip it over, and gently peel parchment paper. (Now you have new parchment paper underneath and used one is gone).
12. Let it cool a couple of minutes.
13. While it is still warm, use parchment paper underneath to help lift and roll cake.
14. Roll cake from end to end with parchment paper inside. Let it cool completely about 10 min.
15. Meanwhile, combine hot water and honey, mix well and set aside.
16. Beat heavy cream with remaining sugar and vanilla until it holds stiff peaks. (Do not over whip it but make sure it is hard enough to hold the shape).
17. Unroll cooled cake, choose one side and diagonally trim end. This will make finished roll cake look complete.
18. Brush honey syrup all over top of cake then spread whipped cream.
19. Sprinkle strawberries and kiwi top of whipped cream. Roll, starting from untrimmed side to trimmed side, then wrap with parchment paper.
20. Let set at least 20 min to an hour in refrigerator before cutting. Otherwise, it won’t keep its shape.
21. Take out from the refrigerator, slice the cake and serve it with some fresh strawberries.