Gluten Free & Vegan Sticky Carrot Cake
|For the carrot puree|
|Baby carrots||20 Medium, washed and trimmed with stalks|
|Muscovado sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Maple syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Rice milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||3 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||2 Teaspoon|
|For the cake|
|Potato starch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tapioca flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rice flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegan spread||3 Tablespoon|
|Cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the icing|
|Icing sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rice milk||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 355 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. In a grease proof baking tray or casserole dish, line up the carrots at the bottom. Sprinkle the muscovado sugar on top of the carrots and pour the maple syrup in.
3. Bake this tray in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until carrots feel soft. While baking, flip the carrots over once at 17 minutes with the help of the stalk.
4. Once done, remove and cut off the stalks. Place the carrots in a food processor with the rice milk, ginger and cinnamon. Blend until smooth and not gritty.
5. In an electric mixing bowl, add the vegan spread, caster sugar, baking powder, flour and mix well.
6. Add in the carrot puree and mix well.
7. Add in the bananas and cocoa powder and mix until it is well combined.
8. Take two 5 inch round cake pans. Divide the mixture between the two pans and evenly spread it out. Bake the pans in the oven for 20 minutes.
9. Once done, remove the pans and let them cool for a few minutes.
10. In another bowl, mix the icing sugar together with the rice milk while the cake is cooling.
11. Take one cake, spread the icing over it evenly and place the other cake on top like a sandwich with the icing in between.
12. Add the remaining icing on top of the cake and let it drip down the sides.
13. Slice the carrot sticky cake into desired pieces and serve.