Red White & Blue Cake
|For the cake|
|Unsalted butter||50 Tablespoon, softened, divided (1 cup + 2 tablespoons and 2 cups for buttercream)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Egg whites||9 (room temperature)|
|Unbleached flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||4 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (room temperature)|
|Food colouring||5 Drop (red)|
|Food colouring||5 Drop (blue)|
|For the buttercream|
|Powdered sugar||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder and salt for cake and set aside.
For the cake
3. In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar for at least 5 minutes or until the mixture fluffy.
4. Add in vanilla and mix well.
5. Slowly stream in your egg whites little bit at a time and blend after each addition.
6. Add in the flour mixture to the egg white mixture in small batches alternating with milk and beat after each addition, begin and end with dry ingredients.
7. Using a digital scale, equally divide the batter in three portions.
8. Use the red and blue food gel coloring to get cakes of the three required colors.
9. In 3 baking dishes, transfer 1 color batter in each and bake for 35 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely.
For butter-cream frosting:
11. In a clean and dry bowl, put together butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, salt and cream, and blend until well incorporated, add more sugar for right consistency,
12. On a turntable, place the red cake layer; spread a dollop of buttercream on top.
13. Place the white cake layer and spread a dollop of buttercream on top, finally place the blue cake layer.
14. Spread the layered cake with a thin crumb coat of icing and refrigerate, until the coat sets.
15. Add red and blue food color to two different batch of buttercream icing.
16. Start with the red colored frosting and start icing the cake from the bottom up with a spatula giving it there different colors in three layers.
17. Frost the top with the blue icing.
18.Refrigerate the cake until the butter cream sets.
19. Cut and serve as desired.