Chai Spiced Layer Cake With Meringue Icing
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bold chai tea||10|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canola oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon (2 teaspoon+ 1/2 teaspoon for icing)|
|Sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs) (for icing)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for icing)|
|Egg white||6 (room temperature for icing)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon (for icing)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree.
2. Grease, and flour two 8-inches round baking pan. Set aside.
3. Place a sauce pan over medium heat, and boil milk in it.
4. Add tea bags , remove the pan from heat, and allow it to steep for 15 minutes.
5. Discard tea bags. Allow milk to cool completely.
6. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix and set aside.
7. In another bowl, add brown sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer until creamy.
8. Reduce the speed of mixer to low. Alternatively add milk, and flour in it. Mix until smooth.
9. Divide batter into two equal portions, and pour it in baking pans.
10. Place the pans in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
11. Allow the cakes to cool in pans for about 10 minutes.
12. Transfer it on a wire rack, and let it cool completely.
13. For icing, in a large pan combine sugar, and water. Place the pan on medium high heat and let it come to a boil.
14. Reduce the heat and cook until thermometer reads 116 degree Celsius. Turn off heat and set it aside.
15. For the Icing: In another bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar until soft peak form.
16. Pour sugar syrup in it, and whisk for about 10 minutes or until stiff peak appear.
17. With a knife, slice the top off each cake, and create a flat surface.
18. Then using a turn table, cut through the centre of the cake. Repeat for the other cake.
19. Line a serving platter with overlapping parchment paper. Place a small dollop of icing at the centre of the platter to avoid cake from moving
20. Place a cake slice on platter. Set icing at the centre and spread it evenly on the surface of cake, roughly to the same thickness as your cake. Place another slice and spread icing again.
21. Repeat for all the slices. Insert a wooden skewer in the middle.
22. Apply icing on the sides. Take out the skewer and apply thick layer of icing on the top.
23. Apply remaining icing on top and sides making swirl and peak.
24. Sprinkle cinnamon, and gently remove the parchment paper.
25. Slice and serve.