1. In a bowl, mix the flour and butter. Stir it with a spoon till it reached consistency of bread crumbs or rough.
2. In another bowl take the dry fruits and mix the brown sugar to it.
3. Grease a Pyrex bowl or cake tin with butter to coat all sides.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C.
5. Add this mixture to the flour-butter mixture and stir well to combine.
6. Take a large bowl, pour the milk in it.
7. Put the soda-bi-carb, and the white malt vinegar. Stir a little and wait till it foams.
8. Pour it into the flour and dry fruits mixture and stir with a spoon to mix well.
9. Transfer this mixture into the greased Pyrex bowl and bake it for 30 minutes.
10. After 30 minutes reduce the temperature of the oven to 325 degrees F/ 175 degrees C and continue baking for 90 minutes or till done.
11. Remove from oven and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
12. Take a serving plate, cut the cake to slices and serve it hot with custard.
This can also be served chill.
Use a baking tray for a better appearance and even square portions.
You can add nuts and cherries too.