Triple Chocolate Cake
|Bittersweet chocolate||8 Ounce (for Chocolate Genoise + 8 ounces, finely chopped for Chocolate Praline Sheets)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs), boiling (8 ounces for Chocolate Genoise + 1/4 cup (2 ounces) for Caramel)|
|Egg||8 Large (16 ounces for Chocolate Genoise)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (8 ounces for Chocolate Genoise + 2/3 cup (5 ounces) for Caramel)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (5 1/4 ounces for Chocolate Genoise)|
|Hazelnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled (5 ounces for Chocolate Praline Sheets)|
|Semisweet chocolate/Bittersweet chocolate||8 Ounce (for Whipped Ganache Frosting)|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for Whipped Ganache Frosting)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon (for Whipped Ganache Frosting)|
|Simple syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 parts sugar : 1 part water) flavored with Frangelico or hazelnut liqueur)|
|Powdered sugar||1 Teaspoon|
1) Chocolate Genoise : Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper and grease well.
3) In a pot, bring the chocolate and water to a boil over medium-low heat stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the chocolate thickens to a pudding-like consistency. Allow to cool to room temperature completely.
4) In an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attached, whip the sugar and eggs for about 5 minutes or until it triples in volume.
5) Whip in the flour into the egg mixture into two parts. Then whip in the chocolate mixture until it is fully
6) Pour the batter into two prepared 9-inch cake pans and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the cakes test done.
7) Take the cakes out of the oven and cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
8) Caramel : In a pot, stir the water and sugar, cover and bring to a boil over a high heat. After about a minute, take off the lid and allow to caramalize.
9) Chocolate Praline Sheets : Toast the hazelnuts and allow them to cool to room temperature.
10) Place the hazelnuts on a sheet pan lined with lightly oiled aluminum foil or a silpat.
11) Immediately pour the caramel over the hazelnuts and allow to cool to room temperature and completely harden.
12) Grind the caramel and hazelnuts in a food processor until finely powdered.
13) Melt and temper the chocolate: Finely chop 5 ounces of the chocolate. Melt the remaining 3 ounces of chocolate over a double boiler until it reaches 115 to 120°F and remove from heat immediately. Stir in the chopped chocolate in two batches and stir steadily until the mixture reaches 89 to 91°F.
14) Stir in the praline powder until smooth.
15) Pour the chocolate onto six 12-inch long sheets of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment on top and roll into thin oval sheets. Allow to cool to room temperature.
16) Whipped Ganache Frosting : Place half of the heavy cream into an electric mixer bowl, with the whip attachment in it as well, and chill in the refrigerator.
17) Boil the remaining half of the heavy cream and add it to the chocolate, stirring until it is completely melted. Stir in the vanilla. Allow to cool to room temperature.
18) Whip the chilled heavy cream just as the cream thickens – before soft peaks.
19) Add the chocolate mixture and whip until soft peaks form.
20) Assembling Triple Chocolate Cake : Trim the chocolate genoise cake as needed.
21) Place the first layer of the genoise cake on a turn table with a piece of damp paper towel, topped with cardboard and some ganache to hold the cake in place. Sprinkle halfof the simple syrup on the cake layer. Ice the top of the layer with 1 cup of the ganache frosting.
22) Place the second genoise layer on top of the iced layer and sprinkle with the remaining syrup.
23) Reserve 1/4 cup of the ganache. Frost the cake with the remaining ganache.
24) Apply the chocolate praline sheets: Trim the bottom edge of the sheets. Lift up the sheet using the bottom parchment paper for support and press it along the side of the cake. Gently curve it to mold against the side of the cake. Spread a little ganache on top of the praline sheet that is just applied toward the edge.
25) Repeat the steps with a new praline sheet overlapping the first praline sheet where the ganache was spread. Repeat until the cake is completely surrounded.
26) Sprinkle with just a touch of powdered sugar and serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7765 Calories from Fat 3788
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 439 g674.6%
Saturated Fat 209.8 g1049.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2349.5 mg783.2%
Sodium 1005.1 mg41.9%
Total Carbohydrates 935 g311.8%
Dietary Fiber 43.5 g174.1%
Sugars 771.1 g
Protein 113 g225.5%
Vitamin A 180.6% Vitamin C 19.3%
Calcium 84.8% Iron 188.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet