French Prairie Strawberry Shortcake
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Powdered sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||8 Tablespoon, cubed (about 1/2 cup or 1 stick)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fresh strawberries||2 Pint|
|Caster sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whipped cream||8 Gram (for topping)|
1. Wash, hull and slice the fresh strawberries.
2. Toss them with icing sugar. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
4. Grease and flour a medium size baking pan.
5. In a food processor combine the flour, baking powder, powdered sugar and the salt. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles cake crumbs. You can do this in a bowl too, using a pastry blender to cut in the butter.
6. Make a well in the center and add the milk. Stir until just combined. Add more milk if required
7. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
9. Cut partially cooled shortcake into squares.
10. Slice each portion in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries.
11. Cover with the whipped cream.
Calories 856 Calories from Fat 264
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.2%
Saturated Fat 18.1 g90.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 78.7 mg26.2%
Sodium 931.8 mg38.8%
Total Carbohydrates 137 g45.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g26%
Sugars 81.5 g
Protein 12 g23.9%
Vitamin A 17.9% Vitamin C 235.2%
Calcium 55.2% Iron 25%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet