2) Pour 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine into a 13-inch by 9-inch by 2-inch Pyrex
(Or other) baking dish.
3) Sprinkle 1 cup brown sugar evenly over the melted butter or margarine.
4) Drain the pineapple slices, reserving juice.
5) Arrange pineapple slices and maraschino cherry halves on top of brown sugar mixture.
6) Add enough water to the reserved pineapple juice to make 1 1/3 cups of liquid.
7) Combine 2 well-beaten eggs, 1 1/3 cups pineapple liquid, and yellow cake mix.
8) Beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer. Pour batter over the top of the fruit.
9) Spread the batter evenly.
10) Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until done.
11) When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes, or a little longer.
12) While the cake is still warm, invert it onto a large serving tray or platter. Enjoy!
I loosely cover the cake with a sheet of aluminum foil for the first 15 or 20 minutes of baking, so that it will not over brown. Don't leave it too long, or the cake will rise
and stick to it! Also, you can test for doneness of the cake by placing a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean.