Homemade Japanese Roll Cake
1) Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
2) For Sponge Cake Line the brownie pan with waxed paper or parchment paper.
3) Beat eggs and sugar with wire whisk in a metal bowl. Placed it over the pan of hot water and melt the sugar and warm them up to 40C (104F).
4) Then with an electric mixer, beat the batter on high speed for about 5 minutes until white and fluffy. Then on low speed, beat for about 2 minutes to set the texture.
5) Sift in flour and fold together with spatula for about 10 times.
6) Add milk and fold together with spatula for about 50 times until combined.
7) Spread the batter in the brownie pan and drop the pan lightly on the counter to raise the air bubbles out of the batter.
8) Bake at 180C (350F) for 11-12 minutes till lightly brown. (Depending on the heat of the oven, cooking time may differ, so please watch out.)
9) When it's done, drop the pan lightly to prevent shrinking. Remove the sponge cake from the pan by lifting the wax paper and place it on a wire rack to cool.
10) When it's cool enough, remove the parchment paper and place the sponge cake on the parchment paper with the brown side up.
11) For the filling combine fresh cream and granulated sugar in a dry, clean bowl. Float the bottom of the bowl in ice water, whisk the cream until it forms a soft peak.
12) Dice the fruits of your choice.
13) Coat the surface of the sponge cake evenly with the cream. Place the fruits over the creamed surface (leave an inch at both ends).
14) Wrap the cake in the parchment paper and put in a fridge for 30 minutes to set.
15) Cut into round pieces! The best way to cut the cake is to use a knife that has been warmed in hot water. Dip the knife in hot water, wipe, and cut. Repeat this each time you cut!
16) Serve and enjoy!