Italian-Style Napoleon Cake
|Frozen puff pastry||17 1⁄3 Ounce (1 Package, 2 Sheets)|
|Whole milk||750 Milliliter|
|Vanilla bean||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Can Be Cut In Half)|
|Toasted walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), crushed|
1. Defrost puff pastry overnight in refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or as mentioned on puff pastry package.
3. Unroll both sheets of the pastry, place them on baking sheet and pop into oven for 15-20 minutes or until light golden and puffed.
4. Then take out and let them completely to cool.
5. Meanwhile, let's make cream patisserie:
6. In saucepan warm the milk thru but don’t boil. Add to milk vanilla bean that was cut lengthwise and seeds scraped out.
7. In a bowl whisk well egg, sugar and cornstarch.
8. When the milk is warm, start slowly adding it to egg, sugar and cornstarch mixture; about 1 cup of milk, whisking constantly.
9. Return the rest of the milk to medium heat, add the egg, sugar and cornstarch mixture and continue to cook and whisk for 2-4 minutes or until it thickens.
10. Sift the cream thru fine sift, cover it with plastic wrap, make sure that plastic touches the cream.
11. Cool it in the fridge for at least 2 hours or until completely cold.
12. When everything is cold, take serving platter and place the first layer of puff pastry, then cover it with half of the cream patisserie.
13. Top it with next layer of pastry and cover with the rest of the cream.
14. Sprinkle the toasted walnuts on top, let it stand for 30 minutes
15. Serve cold.