Chocolate Cherry Cake
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Maraschino cherries||10 Ounce, undrained (1 jar)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cocoa||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For cream cheese frosting|
|Cream cheese||3 Ounce, softened (1 package)|
|Sifted powdered sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted cocoa||1 Tablespoon (for dusting)|
1) In a bowl, add butter and beat well.
2) Slowly add in the sugar and beat till fluffy.
3) Add in the egg and beat well.
4) Drain the cherries and slice. Keep aside the juice for later.
5) In a bowl, alternating with buttermilk and cherry juice, add flour, cocoa, soda, and salt (begin and end with the flour mix).
6) Mix well after each addition.
7) Fold in the vanilla, pecans, and cherries.
8) Transfer the batter into a greased and floured 9-inch tube pan.
9) Place in the oven at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes, till the cake is done.
10) Leave in pan and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
11) Remove from pan and cool completely.
12) For the cream cheese frosting, combine cream cheese and butter and beat till light and fluffy. Add in the remaining ingredients and beat till smooth.
12) Frost the top and sides of the cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
13) Place a paper doily on the top, and sift over with cocoa.
14) Remove doily and slice and serve.