Magic Mocha Cake
|Devil's food cake mix||18 1⁄4 Ounce (1 package)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|For mocha whipped cream filling|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Instant coffee granules||1 Tablespoon|
|For chocolate frosting|
|Unsweetened chocolate||3 Ounce, cut up (3 squares, 1 ounce each)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Strong coffee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White icing||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Lightly grease and flour two 8-by-8-by-2-inch layer-cake pans.
3) In a bowl, make cake mix according to package directions, add cinnamon to mix.
4) Bake the cake as per the package directions.
5) Take the cake out of oven and; cool 10 minutes before removing from pans, on the wire rack. Invert and take out of pan and allow to cool completely.
6) In a bowl, mix together cream, sugar and coffee granules.
7) Wrap the bowl with foil and refrigerate, for 30 minutes.
8) Using a electric hand blender, beat the coffee mixture until stiff.
9) Chill until ready to use.
10) For Chocolate Frosting:
11) In top bowl of double boiler, mix together chocolate and butter.
12) Melt the butter over hot, not boiling, water, stirring occasionally.
14) Beat in egg yolk until well mixed.
15) Take the bowl off the double boiler from hot water.
16) Beating continuously, add in 2 cups confectioners' sugar, the coffee and vanilla; with wooden spoon, mix until smooth.
17) Place the bowl double boiler in pan of ice water, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until frosting is thick enough to spread.
18) Carefully slice layers in half horizontally to make four layers.
19) Put a layer, cut side up, on cake plate.
20) Smear the cake layer with 1 cup filling and repeat with remaining layers, with top layer cut side down.
21) Smear frost top and side of cake with Chocolate Frosting.
For White Icing:
22) In a bowl, mix together confectioners' sugar and water until well mixed.
23) Fill the sugar mixture into pastry bag with writing tip.
24) Starting in the center, pipe a spiral design 1 inch apart on top of cake.
25) Starting in the center, using toothpick, draw lines toward edge 1 inch apart, all around the cake.
26) Refrigerate the cake for 1 hour, or until well chilled.
26) Cut in wedges and serve cold.