Burnt Sugar Cake with Caramel Frosting
|For caramel syrup|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiling water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Walnut halves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For caramel frosting|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Light cream/Half and half||5 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Take two 8-by-1 1/2-inch round layer-cake pans and grease and flour them nicely.
3) Take a waxed paper and sift together baking powder, soda and salt. Keep aside.
3) First make Caramel Syrup- Take an 8 inch heavy skillet and melt 1/2 cup sugar on medium heat. Stir lightly as sugar melts and turns golden. Continue until sugar is dark and amber in color. Turn off heat.
4) Slowly add boiling water and stir continuously. Return to heat and boil uncovered for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
5) Put the syrup into 1-cup measure and keep aside to cool.
6) Take a large bowl and beat butter until soft with an electric mixer. Add sugar slowly and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat.
7) Add Caramel Syrup and vanilla and beat at medium speed. Add the flour mixture (in fourths) and milk (in thirds), beginning and ending with flour mixture.
8) Put the mixture into the prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
9) Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
10) While the cake is baking make caramel frosting. Take a medium saucepan and mix sugar, butter and cream. Bring to a boil. Stir for 2 minutes and stir constantly. Turn off the heat.
11) Fold in vanilla and baking powder and beat using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
12) Spread half of caramel frosting between layers and remaining on letting it run unevenly down side. Dress it up with walnuts.
13) Slice and serve the cake with tea or as a mini dessert.
Calories 1567 Calories from Fat 532
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g93.1%
Saturated Fat 34.4 g171.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 251.3 mg83.8%
Sodium 512 mg21.3%
Total Carbohydrates 249 g83.1%
Dietary Fiber 8.2 g32.7%
Sugars 187.2 g
Protein 17 g33.3%
Vitamin A 35.1% Vitamin C 0.32%
Calcium 35.1% Iron 9.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet