Blueberry Breakfast Cake
|Whole wheat pastry flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unsweetened applesauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar/Raw sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Non dairy milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Wild blueberries||1 Cup (16 tbs), frozen|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a 9-inch bread pan or square pan and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, and baking soda together.
4. Add applesauce, sugar, vanilla, and nondairy milk and mix until just combined, adding a little extra nondairy milk if necessary.
5. Gently fold in blueberries, then pour batter into your prepared pan.
6. Sprinkle the top with brown sugar if desired and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Chef’s Note: Fresh blueberries may be substituted when they are in season, but wild blueberries, which are smaller and more flavorful, are best.
Nutritional Information 168 Calories, 0.5g Fat, 36.5g Carbohydrates, 3.4g Fiber, 15.5g Sugars, 3.7g Protein
This recipe was excerpted from Everyday Happy Herbivore. To purchase the book, visit www.amazon.com.
Calories 128 Calories from Fat 7
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.79 g1.2%
Saturated Fat 0.07 g0.34%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 135 mg5.6%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12.1%
Sugars 14.7 g
Protein 3 g5%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 2.7%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 4.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet