Fruit Cake with Honey Nut Topping
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (225 g, McDougalls)|
|Soft margarine||6 Ounce (175 g)|
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce (175 g, Tate & Lyle)|
|Mixed spice||1 Teaspoon (5 ml, Schwartz)|
|Mixed fruit||500 Gram (1 pack, Waitrose Luxury)|
|Glace cherries||4 Ounce, halved (115 g)|
|Marzipan||9 Ounce, cut into 1.5cm/ 1/2" cubes (Golden, 250 g)|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (5 ml)|
|Nuts and raisins||5 1⁄2 Ounce, mixed (150 g, Waitrose)|
|Orange blossom honey||60 Milliliter (4 tbsp, Waitrose)|
1. Preheat oven at 150°C, 300°F, gas mark 2.
2. In a large bowl mix together flour, margarine, sugar, eggs and spice.
3. Blend it together until mixture becomes light and fluffy.
4. Fold in the mixed fruit, cherries and marzipan cubes until thoroughly combined.
5. In a greased and lined 18cm (7") square cake tin ,spoon in mixture
6. Level surface.
7. Tie round a double layer of brown paper 4cm (1 1/2") higher than the tin.
8. Stand tin on a thick layer of brown paper.
9. Place it in preheated oven and cook, for about 3 1/2 hours.
10. Check after 2 1/2 hours and cover with a piece of greaseproof paper if browning.
11. When the cake is ready, it will feel firm to the touch and a fine skewer inserted in the centre will come out clean.
12. Cool the cake completely.
13. In another pan melt butter.
14. Add nuts and raisins and cook until toasted.
15. Stir in honey and bring mixture, up to the boil for 2 minutes.
16. Remove the pan from the heat and allow cooling until honey thickens.
17. Spread the mixture over cake.
18. Serve fruit cake with honey nut topping.
Calories 1405 Calories from Fat 536
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g92.3%
Saturated Fat 8.8 g43.9%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 214.2 mg71.4%
Sodium 460.5 mg19.2%
Total Carbohydrates 196 g65.2%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.7%
Sugars 125.2 g
Protein 21 g42.4%
Vitamin A 13.8% Vitamin C 49.7%
Calcium 21.1% Iron 13.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet