|Mixed fruit||500 Gram (1 bag, Waitrose Luxury)|
|Glace cherries||3 1⁄2 Ounce, halved (100 g)|
|Lemon rind||1 , grated rind|
|Brandy||45 Milliliter (3 tbsp)|
|Butter||6 Ounce (175 g)|
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce (175 g)|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce, sieved (225 g)|
|Mixed spices||1 Teaspoon (Bart Spices)|
|Marzipan||1 Pound (750 g, Waitrose Golden)|
|Egg white||1 , beaten|
1. Preheat oven to below mentioned temperature.
2. In a bowl, combine mixed fruit, cherries, lemon rind and brandy. Let it stand.
3. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs gradually, beating well after each addition.
5. Keep adding flour, spice and fruits to the mixture.
6. Stir the mixture, until thoroughly mixed.
7. Add a little milk if necessary to give the mixture a dropping consistency.
8. In a greased and lined 18cm (7") round cake tin, spoon half the mixture.
9. Roll out one third of the marzipan to the size of the tin and place on top of the cake mixture.
10. Spread evenly the remaining mixture on top of it.
11. Smooth the surface.
12. Place in a preheated oven 170°C, 325°F, gas mark 3, for 1 hour.
13. After 1 hour, reduce the oven temperature to 150°C, 300°F, gas mark 2.
14. Bake for a further 1-1 1/2 hours, covering the cake with greaseproof paper if it browns too quickly.
15. The cake is ready when it is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
16. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
17. Roll out half of the remaining marzipan to the size of the cake.
18. Brush the top of the cake with egg and place firmly on top.
19. Pinch the edges slowly.
20. Make 11 balls from the remaining marzipan.
21 Place around the edge of the cake and brush with the egg white.
22.Place under a preheated grill until browned.
23. Serve simnel cake decorate with ribbon.