Daffodil Sponge Cake
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven at 350°.
2. In a bowl sift flour and 1/2 cup sugar together 3 times and set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer beat egg yolks at high speed of 4 minutes until thick and lemon colored.
4. Add lemon extract, beat at medium speed an additional 5 minutes until thickened and set aside.
5. In another bowl beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy.
6. Add cream of tartar and salt and beat until soft peaks form.
7. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time and continue beating 5 minutes until stiff peaks form.
8. Sprinkle one-fourth of flour mixture over egg whites and gently fold in with a rubber spatula.
9. Repeat procedure with remaining flour, adding one-fourth of the mixture at a time.
10. Divide egg white mixture in half and fold vanilla extract into half of it.
11. Gently fold the beaten egg yolks into the remaining egg white mixture.
12. Into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan pour half of the yellow mixture.
13. Then gently add half of the white mixture and repeat procedure.
14. Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes until cake springs back when touched lightly with fingers.
15. Invert cake and let it cool for about 40 minutes.
16. Loosen cake from sides of pan, using a small metal spatula and then remove cake.
17. Place cake on a serving platter and serve with desired garnish.