Black Walnut Cake
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Black walnuts||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped (plus little extra for garnishing)|
|Canned flaked coconut||3 Ounce (1 can)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream cheese frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Candied cherries||4 , diced (Red and green)|
1. Preheat the oven at 350°.
2. In a bowl cream butter and shortening and gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy and sugar dissolves.
3. Add egg yolks, beating well.
4. Stir to combine buttermilk and soda until soda dissolves.
5. Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour and stir in vanilla.
6. Add 1 1/2 cups walnuts and coconut, stirring well.
7. Beat egg whites at room temperature with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form and fold into batter.
8. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake-pans and pour batter into them.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Let it cool in pans for 10 minutes, remove layers from pans and let it cool completely.
11. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
12. Decorate cake with additional walnuts and candied cherries and serve.