Almond Pull Apart Cake
|For pastry dough|
|Lukewarm water||10 Tablespoon|
|Caster sugar||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Fresh yeast||1 Ounce|
|Plain flour||1 Pound|
|Unsalted butter||8 Ounce|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Vanilla essence||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground almonds||6 Ounce|
|Caster sugar||3 Ounce|
|Sieved icing sugar||3 Ounce|
|Egg||1 Large, beaten|
|Sieved icing sugar||4 Ounce|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (To Mix)|
1. Prepare the pastry by first tipping lukewarm water into a small basin. Add the 2 teaspoons sugar and sprinkle the yeast over the liquid. Set this aside for 10 minutes
2. Prepare the cake filling by mixing the ground almonds, caster sugar and icing sugar and bring it together with a beaten egg.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F, 180°C, Gas Mark 4,
4. In another large basin, sieve the flour and salt. Gently start to rub in 2 oz butter to form a breadcrumb like mixture. Stir in the sugar and mix well again.
5. Prepare a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour the yeast mixture, eggs and vanilla essence into the center of the flour. Use your hands to draw the ingredients together to form soft dough. Do not overmix and knead gently to form soft dough. Knead dough on a lightly floured board for about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in foil and set aside to chill for 1/2 hour.
6. In another large bowl, beat butter until soft enough to spread.
7. Remove the dough from the chiller and then spread it out to form a rectangle approximately 14 x 10 inches in size. Make marking that are approximately dividing the dough into three.
8. Spread half of the softened butter over the center third section of the dough. Fold left-hand third of pastry over butter and gently seal the edges over the dough. Spread remaining butter again on the top of the dough and then fold right-hand third of pastry over that and then press down the edges. Use foil paper to wrap the dough and then set aside to chill for 1/2 hour.
9. Roll the chilled dough out to form a rectangle 16x8 in and then press down the narrow ends in to meet at the centre. Fold the dough in half to make 4 layers. Rewrap the dough and chill again for 20 minutes.
10. Continue the process for two more times and then fold the dough in half again
11. Roll out the final chilled dough to form a rectangle that is about 16 x 12 in. Divide the dough into two rectangles 16 x 6 in and spread out the almond filling. Cut each rectangle into 8 strips and then roll up each strip.
12. Stand rolls in rows of four in a freezer tray on a baking tray and then bake for about 1 hour.
13. Serve immediately or place in a chilling tray and freeze for later.