Old South Spice Cake
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground allspice||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Semi-sweet chocolate morsels||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Pecan halves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Garnish)|
|Nut and fruit filling|
|Sweetened condensed milk||14 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Sifted powdered sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ground allspice||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground raisins||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chopped pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For caramel frosting|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Light corn syrup||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven to 375° F.
2) Take 3 9-inch pans, grease and flour them lightly.
1) Take a bowl and cream butter in it. Add sugar and beat nicely.
2) Add eggs, one at a time, beating well upon each addition.
3) Take a mixing bowl and combine together cocoa, flour, allspice, cloves, salt and cinnamon in it.
4) Dissolve together buttermilk and soda.
5) Add the prepared flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
6) Pour batter in the 3 pans and bake for about 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted at the
center comes out clean.
7) Cool the cake layers in their pans for about 10 minutes.
8) Remove the layers from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
9) FOR THE NUT AND FRUIT FILLING: Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
10) FOR THE FROSTING: Take a large heavy saucepan and combine all ingredients in it. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer registers a temperature of 236° F, stirring until sugar dissolves completely. Cool the mixture a little. Beat until mixture reaches desired spreading consistency.
11) Spread the Nut and Fruit filling between layers. Frost the top and sides with Caramel Frosting.
12) Arrange the pecan halves around base of cake.
13) Take a pastry bag and fill it with melted chocolate. Pipe desired designs over pecans and on top of cake.
14) Slice the delicious cake and serve immediately.
Calories 1081 Calories from Fat 431
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g76.2%
Saturated Fat 24.3 g121.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 191.8 mg63.9%
Sodium 405.9 mg16.9%
Total Carbohydrates 159 g53.1%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.7%
Sugars 118.5 g
Protein 15 g30%
Vitamin A 21.9% Vitamin C 5.2%
Calcium 22% Iron 26.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet