Creamy Coco-Nutty Cake
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Softened butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Flaked coconut||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Pinch|
|Coconut pecan frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream cheese||8 Ounce, softened (1 Package)|
|Sifted powdered sugar||16 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a bowl cream shortening, butter, and sugar until fluffy.
3. Mix egg yolks one at a time and beat after each addition.
4. Fold in flour, soda, and salt.
5. Mix it to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and mix well after each addition. Begin and end with flour mixture.
6. Mix vanilla and coconut.
7. Beat egg whites at room temperature until frothy.
8. Mix cream of tartar and beat egg whites until stiff.
9. Mix egg whites into batter.
10. Grease and flour three 9-inch cakepans and transfer batter into it.
11. Bake for 25 to 30.
12. Keep in pans to cool for 10 minutes.
13. Remove from pans and cool completely.
14. To prepare Coconut-Pecan Frosting, in a bowl beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
15. Add sugar and beat until smooth.
16. Mix vanilla and salt. Beat until blended.
17. Add coconut and pecans.
18. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.
19. Store in refrigerator.