Marble Fruit Cake
|All-purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Dates||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Currants||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Firmly packed dark brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Currant jelly||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Apple juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Candied citron||4 Ounce, chopped (1 Container)|
|Candied pineapple||4 Ounce, chopped (1 Container)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Fresh lemon sections||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), pared|
1) Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2) Liberally grease a 9-inch round tube mould and dust with flour.
3) In a blow, sift together 1 1/2 cups of the flour, 1 teaspoon of the baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
4) Add in the dates, walnuts, and currants.
5) In a large bowl, beat 1 stick of butter or margarine and brown sugar until fluffy.
6) Beat in 2 of the eggs, one at a time, until well-blended and currant jelly.
7) Add in flour mixture, half at a time, alternately with apple juice, until well blended. Set aside.
8) In a bowl, mix the remaining flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon soda.
9) Whisk in the citron and pineapple.
10) In a large bowl, beat together 1 stick butter or margarine with granulated sugar until fluffy-light.
11) While still beating add in the remaining 2 eggs, one at a time, until well-blended.
12) Whisk in lemon rind and diced lemon.
13) Add in flour mixture, half at a time, just until blended.
14) Transfer the dark and light batters, alternately, into tube pan.
15) Draw a spatula through the batters to marble.
16) Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
17) Place on the wire rack and cool the cake in pan for 10 minutes.
18) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out immediately onto wire racks.
19) Allow to cool completely.
20) When ready to serve, dribble with lemon glaze over top.
21) Garnish with candied lemon slices and halved candied red cherries, if desired.
22) Cut into thin wedges and serve.