Champion Angel Food Cake
|Sifted cake flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Sifted sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Egg whites||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (11 In Number)|
|Cream of tartar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat 375°
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour and 3/4 cup sugar twice.
3. Use a rotary beater(electric or hand) and blend egg whites ,until they become foamy.
4. Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla, one by one and keep beating to soft peak stage.
5. Add the remaining 1 cup sugar to the mixture blending continuously, adding one tablespoon of sugar at a time.
6. Be careful while blending, do not overdo. Beat only about one turn of bowl after each addition (5 turns of rotary beater); gently scrape sides.
7. Add flour-sugar mixture to the egg, in 3 or 4 parts, gently folding in with wire whisk, using about 12 strokes each time.
8. Take a large 10x14" or two 10 1/2 X 2 1/2" tube pans and pour the cake mixture in it.
9. Remove large air bubbles from the cake mixture, by cutting it through batter with spatula.
10. Place the pan in oven and bake it for 40 to 50 minutes.
11. Invert pan on rack and allow it to cool for about 1 hour ,before removing cake.
12. You can frost the cake if with desired icing if you like or serve with sweetened whipped cream.
For top results: Take care not to over-beat egg whites.
It's best to use eggs at room temperature rather than from the refrigerator.
Whites should stand in soft peaks so that the tips drop over when beater is lifted.
If you use your mixer, the cake will be less troublesome to make.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1612 Calories from Fat 17
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3%
Saturated Fat 0.2 g0.99%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1089.5 mg45.4%
Total Carbohydrates 340 g113.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.7%
Sugars 206.7 g
Protein 52 g104.1%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 4.9% Iron 66.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet