|Cake flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg whites||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) In a bowl, sift together flour and 1/2 cup of the sugar, set aside.
3) In a mixer bowl, place together egg whites, cream of tartar and salt.
4) Beat at high speed until foamy-white and double in volume.
5) While still beating, add in the remaining 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in soft peaks.
6) Lightly fold in flour mixture, 1/2 at a time, with a rubber scraper until completely blended.
7) In a small mixer bowl beat the egg yolks at high speed until thick and lemon-color.
8) Stir in lemon rind and vanilla.
9) Gently fold 1/2 of the meringue batter into egg yolks until well mixed.
10) Transfer the batters by tablespoonful-€™s, alternating colors, into a 10-inch tube pan.
11) Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
12) Invert the pan, placing tube over a quart-size soft drink bottle.
13) Allow the cake cool completely.
14) Using spatula loosen cake around the edge and the tube and down the sides.
15) Put a serving plate over a pan and shake gently; turn upside down; lift off pan.
16) Slice into wedges and serve with lemon sherbet, if desired.
Calories 378 Calories from Fat 30
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g5.1%
Saturated Fat 0.96 g4.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 123.4 mg41.1%
Sodium 185.9 mg7.7%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.3%
Sugars 50.6 g
Protein 12 g24.9%
Vitamin A 2.9% Vitamin C 1.8%
Calcium 4% Iron 2.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet