Pound Cake Layers
|Pound cake mix||42 Ounce (6 Packages)|
|Liquid||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Apricot brandy||3 Tablespoon|
|For brandy apricot glaze|
|Apricot preserves||12 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Apricot brandy||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) Lightly grease tiered cake pans and line with wax paper; grease paper.
3) Dust the pans with flour.
Brandy Apricot Glaze
4) In a saucepan place the apricot preserves and heat until very warm.
5) Mix in apricot brandy.
6) Strain the apricot mixture, set aside.
7) Prepare cake mixture with pound cake mix with eggs, liquid called for on label, and apricot brandy following label directions.
8) Pour 1/3 of the cake mix into middle tier pan until half filled.
9) Pour ½ of the remaining cake mix into largest pan to half fill the pan,
10) Using the remaining cake mixture, half fill the smallest pan.
11) Place one oven rack in top third of oven and the second rack in the bottom third of the oven.
11) Place the largest cake pan on bottom rack in center of oven.
12) Put the medium size pan at back left of top rack and smallest pan at front right of top rack.
13) The pans should not touch each other or the door or the sides of oven.
14) Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean for each pans. (Baking times will vary with the width and depth of individual cake pans and also the size and shape of your oven.)
15) If the layers on the top rack are getting too brown, cover layers lightly with a piece of foil for the last part of baking.
16) Take the layers out of the oven and cool on wire racks for 20 minutes.
17) Cover the wire racks with towels.
18) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out immediately onto wire rack.
19) Shake the layers gently to be sure cake has loosened from pan.
20) Invert the layers onto towel-lined wire rack and peel off wax paper.
21) Allow the cake to cool completely.
22) Using brush apply the brandy-apricot glaze over the layers to coat completely.
23) Slice and serve as desired.