Noel Bell Fruit Cake
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground mace||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Canned apricot halves||1 Pound, drained and chopped (1 Can)|
|Irish whiskey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Seedless raisins||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Mixed candied fruits||8 Ounce, chopped (1 Container)|
|Pecans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Red candied cherries||8 Ounce, halved (1 Container)|
|Green candied cherries||4 Ounce, halved (1 Container)|
|Marzipan||6 Ounce (Or As Needed)|
1) Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2) Lightly grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan.
3) In a blow, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, mace, and cloves.
4) In a bowl, beat butter or margarine with brown sugar until fluffy-light.
5) While still beating add eggs, one at a time.
6) Mix in apricots and whiskey.
7) Whisk in flour mixture until well blended, add raisins, mixed fruits, pecans, and cherries.
8) Transfer the flour into loaf pan and spread top even.
9) Bake in the oven for 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10) Allow to cool the cake completely.
11) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out immediately onto wire racks.
12) Cover the cake in wax paper or foil and store several days to mellow flavors.
13) On wax paper, roll out the marzipan to a rectangle of 1/4 inch thick.
14) Using a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter cut out 6 small bell shapes.
15) Place the stars on the cake.
16) Pinch off small bits of marzipan trimmings and roll into tiny balls.
17) Arrange the ball onto cake to form clappers for bells.
18) Make 6 thin strands with part of remaining trimmings of marzipan.
19) Twist each of 2 strands together to form a rope and place on cake at too of bells.
20) Slice thinly and serve the cake.
Calories 1392 Calories from Fat 445
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g79.7%
Saturated Fat 17.2 g85.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 131 mg43.7%
Sodium 160.3 mg6.7%
Total Carbohydrates 226 g75.4%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.6%
Sugars 162.8 g
Protein 14 g27.8%
Vitamin A 16.5% Vitamin C 10.8%
Calcium 26.8% Iron 33%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet