Old Fashioned Sponge Cake
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
3) In large mixer bowl, beat egg whites at high speed until foamy and double in volume.
4) While still beating stir in 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in soft peaks.
5) In small mixer bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until thick and lemon color.
6) Beat in remaining 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture is very thick and fluffy.
7) Add in orange and lemon extract.
8) Lightly fold in flour, 1/3 at a time, into egg yolk mixture using a rubber spatula until completely blended.
9) Gently fold on flour mixture into meringue until well mixed.
10) Transfer the flour mixture into an ungreased 9-inch tube pan.
11) Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
12) Allow the cake to cool by inverting the pan and placing tube over a quart-size soft-drink bottle.
13) Using a spatula, loosen the cake around the edge and the tube and down the sides.
14) Place a serving plate over the pan and shake gently.
15) Turn over and lift the pan.
16) Sprinkle icing sugar over the top, if desired, and serve with sweetened fruit.
Calories 266 Calories from Fat 29
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.9%
Saturated Fat 0.86 g4.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg35.2%
Sodium 266.1 mg11.1%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 34 g
Protein 7 g13.3%
Vitamin A 2.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 9.2% Iron 3.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet