Birthday Year Cake
|Unsweetened chocolate square||3|
|Cake flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||1 Pound (2 1/4 Cups)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Jelly||12 Ounce (1 Jelly)|
|For boiled chocolate frosting|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||4 Ounce (4 Squares)|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon (3/4 Stick)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Lightly grease 15X10X1 inch baking pan, line with parchment paper and grease the paper.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
BOILED CHOCOLATE FROSTING
4) In a saucepan, place together sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
5) Stream in boiling water slowly and stir until well blended.
6) Heat slowly, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boil for 3 minutes.
7) Stir in chocolate and butter or margarine, while still stirring, just until chocolate melts and is well-blended.
8) Take the pan away from the heat and stir in vanilla.
9) Transfer to a bowl and chill, stirring several times, until creamy-smooth and easy to spread, set aside
10) In a large mixer bowl, place together butter or margarine and brown sugar.
11) Beat the butter mixture until fluffy with an electric mixer at medium speed.
12) While still beating, add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each,
13) Fold in in vanilla and melted chocolate.
14) Slowly add in the flour mixture one third at a time, alternately with buttermilk, stirring with mixer at low speed, just until blended.
15) Stream in boiling water and mix.
16) Transfer into the baking pan.
17) Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
18) Allow cake to cool the cake in pan over wire rack 10 minutes.
19) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out onto wire rack.
20) Gently peel off the paper and allow to cool completely.
21) Cut off the crusts, and then cut the cake lengthwise into five even-size strips.
22) Slice each strip into half.
23) Smear the strips with desired flavoured jelly, then top each with a plain one.
24) Place the strips on serving tray or cookie sheet, to form desired number.