Angel Food Cake
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), sifted|
|Egg whites||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (1 Number)|
|Cream of tartar||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a bowl, sift together flour with half of the sugar, set aside.
3) In a large mixer bowl, place together egg whites with cream of tartar and salt.
4) Using and electric mixture, beat the egg white mixture at high speed until foamy-white and double in volume.
5) While still beating add in remaining 1/8 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in soft peaks.
6) Lightly fold in flour mixture, 1/4 at a time, into egg white mixture until well mixed.
7) Stir in vanilla and almond extract.
8) Transfer the flour batter in an un-greased 10-inch tube pan.
9) Bake in a the oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
10) Invert the pan, placing tube over a quart-size soft drink bottle.
11) Allow the cake cool completely.
12) Using spatula loosen cake around the edge and the tube and down the sides. 13) Put a serving plate over a pan and shake gently; turn upside down; lift off pan.
14) Serve as desired or with sweetened fruits if desired.