Golden Meringue Topped Cake
|Sifted cake flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For brown sugar meringue|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease a 13X9X2-inch baking pan and dust with flour.
3) In a mixer bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt .
4) Stir in eggs, shortening, milk, and vanilla.
5) Using an electric mixer blend at low speed 1/2 minute
6) Increase the speed to high speed and blend for 2 minutes, scraping bowl frequently with rubber scraper.
7) Transfer the flour batter into baking pan.
8) Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
BROWN SUGAR MERINGUE
9) In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy-white and double in volume.
10) While still beating add in lemon juice.
11) Add in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating continuously until meringue stands in peaks.
12) Smear the brown sugar meringue immediately over the cake, dredge with nuts and coconut.
13) Raise the temperature of the oven to 400°F.
14) Bake in the oven for 8 minutes or until top is golden brown.
15) Allow to cool the cake in pan over wire rack for 10 minutes.
16) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out immediately onto wire racks, facing the meringue side up.
17) Cut the cake and serve dusted with icing sugar in desired.
Calories 823 Calories from Fat 276
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g48.9%
Saturated Fat 10.2 g50.9%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 74.3 mg24.8%
Sodium 581.6 mg24.2%
Total Carbohydrates 130 g43.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.5%
Sugars 89.9 g
Protein 9 g18.2%
Vitamin A 2.5% Vitamin C 2.3%
Calcium 28.3% Iron 26.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet