Cranberry Orange Coffee Cake
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (or lard - 1/3 cup)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cranberries||2 Cup (32 tbs), drained|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange rind||2 Tablespoon, grated|
|Orange||3⁄4 Teaspoon, extract|
1. Grease a baking dish and set aside for later use.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
1. In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar together.
2. Use pastry blender to cut in shortening for about 1-2 minutes on low speed.
3. Do not overmix. It will lead to creaming of flour and shortening, whereas the mixture should be dry and crumbly.
4. In a bowl, add the coffee cake mix for making the cake.
5. Further, beat eggs until fluffy and gradually add sugar to the eggs.
6. Add the egg mixture to the cake mix and beat for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
7. Then, pour in milk, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition to mix properly and set the batter aside.
8. Lay cranberries at the base of the greased dish.
9. Top it with sugar and orange rind.
10. Combine the batter with orange extract.
11. Spread batter on top of the layer of cranberries and bake for a while.
12. Bake for about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
13. Cool for 15 minutes.
14. Turn out the cake on a platter.
15. Cut the cake into pieces and serve.
Calories 544 Calories from Fat 177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.8%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g26.8%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 73.3 mg24.4%
Sodium 458.7 mg19.1%
Total Carbohydrates 87 g29.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.3%
Sugars 58.7 g
Protein 6 g12.9%
Vitamin A 3.1% Vitamin C 19.9%
Calcium 15% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet