Burnt Sugar Chocolate Cake
|Sifted cake flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Dry cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (not a mix)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soft vegetable shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Hot water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For burnt sugar frosting|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Boiling water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sifted 10x confectioners powdered sugar||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease three 8X1 1/2-inch layer cake pan and dust with flour.
BURNT SUGAR FROSTING
3) In a large non-stick pan spread sugar in the bottom.
4) Simmer very slowly until sugar melts and turns deep golden.
5) Gently stream in water, stirring constantly.
6) Heat until sugar dissolves completely in water.
7) Raise the heat to boil the syrup rapidly two minutes more.
8) Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool completely.
9) In a bowl, using an electric hand blender beat butter or margarine until smooth.
10) Whisk in the yolks until well blended.
11) Reserving 2 tablespoon of syrup for decorating cake, mix the remaining syrup alternately with sugar to butter mixture.
12) Beat the syrup mixture until smooth and spreadable. Keep aside until required.
To make the cake
13) In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
14) In a small cup mix together vinegar into milk to sour, set aside.
15) In a large mixer bowl, place together shortening, sugar, and eggs.
16) Using an electric mixer process the egg mixture for 3 minutes at high speed.
17) Slowly add the flour mixture alternately with soured milk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth.
18) Stream in hot water and vanilla and stir.
19) Transfer the batter into prepared cake pans.
20) Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cakes comes out clean.
21) Place the pan over a wire racks and allow to cool the layers for 10 minutes.
22) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out onto wire rack.
23) Allow to cool completely.
24) Place the cake in layers, with burnt sugar frosting in middle.
25) Spread the remaining frosting on the sides and top of the cake.
26) Dribble with the reserved syrup, slice and serve as desired.