Blue Ribbon Chocolate Cake
|Sifted cake flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 sticks)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Rum flavoring||2 Teaspoon (or extract)|
|Sweet cooking chocolate||8 Ounce, melted (2 packages, 4 ounces each)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|For fruit nut filling|
|Fudge frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Walnut halves||2 Tablespoon (adjust quantity as needed)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease three 9X1 ½-inch layer cake pans, line with parchment paper and grease the paper.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
4) In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter or margarine at medium speed.
5) Slowly add sugar, beating continuously until fluffy.
6) Pour in the rum flavouring or extract and vanilla.
7) Add the eggs butter mixture, one at a time, until light.
8) Gradually add in melted chocolate, while still beating.
9) Mix in the flour mixture, one-third at a time, alternately with milk, beating with mixer just until blended.
10) Transfer the flour into the cake pans, evenly.
11) Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
12) Allow to cool the cake in pan over wire rack for 5 minutes.
13) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out onto wire rack.
14) Gently peel off the paper and allow the layer to cool completely.
15) Slice each cake layer horizontally with a long-blade knife.
16) Place the layers together, alternately with fruit-nut filling and fudge frosting on a serving plate.
17) Smear the frost over the top and side of cake with remaining frosting.
18) Make swirls with the tines of a fork and garnish with walnut halves.