Apple Cheese Coffee Cake
|For plain coffee cake batter|
|Sifted flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening/1/3 cup lard||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|For apple cheese coffee cake|
|Red cinnamon candies||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Apple||1 Large, peeled and cored|
|Grated sharp cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Quick cooking rolled oats||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Grease a baking dish and set aside for later use.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
1. In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar together.
2. Use pastry blender to cut in shortening for about 1-2 minutes on low speed.
3. Do not overmix. It will lead to creaming of flour and shortening, whereas the mixture should be dry and crumbly.
4. In a bowl, add the coffee cake mix for making the cake.
5. Further, beat eggs until fluffy and gradually add sugar to the eggs.
6. Add the egg mixture to the cake mix and beat for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
7. Then, pour in milk, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition to mix properly and set the batter aside.
8. In a saucepan, mix candies, water, sugar and 1/4 c brown sugar.
9. Slice apple into rings, cook in syrup until clear and shiny.
10. Drain the apples.
11. Add cheese tossed with 1/2 cup flour to mix in the batter.
12. Mix rolled oats, 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and butter, sprinkle over batter in pan.
13. Top with candied apple rings and bake for about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
14. Cool for 15 minutes.
15. Turn out the cake on a platter.
16. Cut the cake into triangles or pieces and serve with coffee.