Marmalade Coffee Cake
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Grated orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), sieved|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||3 Tablespoon, melted|
|Shredded coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), or flaked|
|Orange marmalade||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (for greasing)|
1. Pre heat an oven at 187.5 C (375 F).
2. Grease a 9 inch square baking pan and keep aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Sieve together and keep aside.
4. In a medium sized bowl, place shortening. Cream well.
5. Once creamed, add sugar and beat well till mixture is fluffy.
6. Add eggs and orange rind. Mix well.
7. Add sieved ingredients and milk alternately and fold gently using a rubber spatula.
8. Transfer mixture on to greased pan and using a pastry brush, apply 1 tablespoon butter evenly on mixture. Keep aside.
9. In a small bowl, combine remaining butter with marmalade and coconut. Mix well and spread evenly on top in greased pan.
10. Sprinkle sugar uniformly and bake in pre heated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till done.
11. Once baked, remove from oven and keep aside.
12. Serve warm.
If making this recipe in a oven proof glass dish, bake at 175 C (350 F).