Peach Cinnamon Coffee Cake
|For plain coffee cake batter|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening/1/2 cup lard||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|For peach cinnamon topping|
|Lemon extract||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Canned cling peach slices||1 Cup (16 tbs), drained|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a baking dish and set aside for later use.
1. In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar together.
2. Use pastry blender to cut in shortening for about 1-2 minutes on low speed.
3. Do not overmix. It will lead to creaming of flour and shortening, whereas the mixture should be dry and crumbly.
4. In a bowl, add the coffee cake mix for making the cake.
5. Then, add both the extracts to the coffee cake batter.
6. Further, beat eggs until fluffy and gradually add sugar to the eggs.
7. Add the egg mixture to the cake mix and beat for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
8. Then, pour in milk, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition to mix properly.
9. In the greased baking dish, spread the batter evenly followed by a layer of peaches.
10. Bake for about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
11. Mix sugar with cinnamon to garnish warm coffee cake right before serving.